Trying to reduce our memory and battery footprint

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 15 19:10:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 09:02 +0200, Didier Roche wrote:
> In the past cycles, we saw our memory need for an user session
> increasing quite a lot. One of the consequence is that our battery life
> on laptop diminished.
> I think having a session discussing and trying to review if we can work
> on the more offending daemons, disabling some plugins and so on, can
> help to put her in a better position on that front.

At UDS Q we discussed getting upstart into the desktop, which I think is
critical for a lot of these.  Most of them are basically file watches
and other events that upstart could do for us.  I don't believe that
happened in the Q cycle, do we think that we could get upstart
underneath things with some new events in R?  I'd love to see that.
Curious how we should plan sessions based on that, it seems that the
upstart sessions and these would be co-dependent.

		--Ted