[Desktop 13.04-Topic] Discussing PS-related product processes

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 15 07:43:21 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,

as you probably know already, PS is our upstream for a lot of desktop
components nowadays (Unity, compiz, webapps, indicators, multi touch
stack...).
The past cycle has been a real ride in term of features, which spawn the
release team, translation team and documentation team with FFe/UIFe. We
need to discuss a way to ease the process in both ways with all involved
parts.

Seeing the importance of those components on our stack today, I think
for instance that having a standing FF/UIF exception as we have for
GNOME components in ubuntu will make sense. However, the counter-part
will be that PS will work on getting things landing only when they are
ready, to avoid further and further refinements (and additional
documentation changes) as we had in the past just to "match the date
gate". So this one can clearly be a win-win situation.

Also, I want to discuss about what can land in a SRU. Little (few pixel
move) change, not really impacting the documentation may want to be
considered. We currently have 2 examples we can discuss in the session:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/1043808 (Dash: Preview
activation doesn't have instant feedback). Design worked on a spinner to
partially address this one. This is a behavior change in some way, for a
transient state, however it can be completely acceptable in a SRU as it
will make the quantal experience better and don't change doc/add new
strings, and so on.

- Another one is the ribbon on the application lens for software-center
content. This one is giving (due to pixelized images with the magazines)
a lot of headaches to design and they would want to remove it. This
specific case is an UI change, but doesn't seem it would impact the
understanding of the lens.

We can base the UDS discussion on those examples to see how we can get
the process smoother and more reliable for everyone in the next cycle
and going on. :)

Cheers,
Didier