[Desktop13.04-Topic] Default file manager

Omer Akram om26er at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 13 08:57:22 UTC 2012

On Saturday, October 13, 2012, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> GNOME's new Files app (Nautilus) has been a bit controversial. While
> the devs have admitted that they should have followed GNOME's feature
> proposal process and the UI had some obvious bugs in the 3.5
> snapshots, I think Nautilus 3.6 is a clear improvement for most users.
>
> I believe that nautilus 3.8 is the best choice as default file manager
> for users and for Ubuntu developers for 13.04. I just don't see
> anything else that has the stability, shared maintenance, and
> integration with the default desktop that the latest nautilus has.
>
> We should come up with a list of specific requirements that we want
> from Nautilus which we can present to developers. Here's my start:
>

> - GtkMenuButton needs to export its menus to dbus for use by the HUD

there.. that is the thing that i don't like at all... we need to patch
nautilus to show a complete menu bar. nautilus (and other gnome apps) with
just one menu + settings cog isn't really that suits very well to Unity..
As file manager is more important than any other [gnome] app we would
really want our file manager to look like a real app :-)

So due to that reason it may make sense to switch to some other file
manager... even if its currently less maintained and spend a few resources
into improving that to a level that is competent enough for the next LTS. I
think we have done that in the past "for a greater good"

Thanks.