ClickPads and Click Actions

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Fri Mar 2 19:04:53 UTC 2012

On 03/02/2012 10:14 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:55:58PM -0800, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> I'm beginning to think that this is all so complicated even when we
>> try to be verbose and convey things as accurately as possible that
>> nothing short of "it just works perfectly and exactly how I wanted"
>> will be good enough. Although I think we are very close to this
>> being possible, we're just too far past feature freeze for it to
>> land.
>>
>> After the freeze is lifted, I'll upload a new X synaptics module
>> with ClickPad support but disabled by default for all devices. We
>> can document the feature on wiki.ubuntu.com and tell people how to
>> enable it. Next cycle I'll finish it by ensuring click actions are
>> supported too. Then we can turn it on without hesitation :).
>
> Alright, sounds like a good plan.  Then LTS users will get it on
> 12.04.2 or via an SRU if that makes sense.

I'm about to upload. The only change is that I'm leaving clickpad
support enabled for clickpads with a separate physical right button.
These devices do not have click actions enabled by default anyways, so
there's no regression in behavior.

I'm only aware of two machines with such clickpads: Dell Mini 1011 and
1012 netbooks.

-- Chase