It's time to jettison CCSM

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 26 17:04:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Jorge O. Castro <jorge at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> With tools like MyUnity now in universe, and didrocks putting basic
> configuration in the control panel I'd like to propose the removal of
> compizconfig-settingsmanager.
>
> I don't mean "stop telling people to use it" or "add a warning", I
> mean total removal from the archive until the tool is either better
> tested or doesn't break people's configuration. Here are some of the
> problems with the tool.

I agree with all the reasons you've outlined for why it's broken for
use with Unity. I've experienced it first-hand as well as see others
break their desktops.

However, I don't feel it's fair to all our users to drop
compizconfig-settings-manager, an application that is presumably
useful in environments other than Unity, just because it does not work
well with it. I'd be all in favor of making sure it's clear to users
that they can thoroughly break their desktop by using it. I do think
having the freedom to break your system if you so choose is pretty key
to Ubuntu, and I'm certain there are plenty of other packages in
universe that allow you to configure your system in a way that you
risk breaking something or that are incompatible with some desktop;
and that won't be dropped from the archive.

That being said, I use CCSM very rarely and wouldn't miss it. ;)

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93