Fwd:Ubuntu, please don't waste time on upgrading your flashy & silly themes, desktop-effects!

Tobia Tesan tobia.tesan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:11:17 UTC 2012

Il 13/02/2012 10:47, Life Monad ha scritto:
> Debian,Gentoo,Slackware,Ubuntu
>
>     I use all four, for different purpouses, of course.
>
> You use all four??
> GNOME,Unity,KDE,Xfce....XXXX

No. I'm not touching KDE with a 4-foot pole (sorry, KDE folks, you are
doing a great job, but I'm just not a KDE guy :).
I also find GNOME2 "neither fish nor flesh" these days.

I run Oneiric+Unity on my "everyday" laptop (making it, among other
advantages, girlfriend-compliant :) and either Slackware+FVWM or
Debian+WindowMaker on my decrepit laptop and/or on my EEEPC, when I need
a distractions-free envinronment to run an Emacs session and maybe pine
on an otherwise sluggish machine.
Debian is also my server OS of choice, Gentoo is for playing around :)

Makes perfect sense to me.

> oh....different tools for different purposes

Do you seriously think that I should attempt to run Unity on a S3 Virge
and/or I should slap FVWM on my girlfriend's uber-specced MBP and teach
her how to edit .fvwmrc? :)

> Maybe,because linux desktop developers only have been  listening to
> those users who already are using linux and like it.
> Maybe...

Oh, come one, Unity is a definite step in the opposite direction.
Everybody knows that real developers don't even use a DE, they do
everything within an emacs session :P
(See also: http://xkcd.com/378/)

But enough about me - seriously, if you don't like Ubuntu, why not just
use Debian?
It basically IS Ubuntu minus the bits you don't like.

--
Tobia Tesan
<tobia.tesan at gmail.com>