Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Jason Warner jason.warner at canonical.com
Mon Feb 6 09:22:16 UTC 2012

Hi All -

Firefox ESR is indeed interesting, and it would seem to answer some of the
question corporations might have about Firefox, but I think it is less
interesting for Ubuntu.

Firefox adopted a rapid release model for various reasons, but among them
was that they needed the browser to keep up with the pace of innovation on
the internet. Ubuntu needs to be out in front of these things and be
pushing the very edge of what is possible, particularly in the browser. I
do not think we can ship a browser that will lag by 12 months in any sense;
the risks too far outweigh the rewards.

I'm afraid that even a year lag (ESR update period) would put Ubuntu at
severe disadvantage to other platforms. Imagine a world where G+ or
Facebook or some new whizbang product didn't work on Ubuntu because the
browser shipped didn't support some new technology/javascript
engine/platform component. That is neither something we want nor can
afford. We have to be better, we have to be faster and we have to be
braver.

The browser is among the chief components of the desktop that needs to keep
pace (or better) and I feel adopting Firefox ESR would be the wrong choice
for Ubuntu desktop.

Thanks,
Jason