It's time to jettison CCSM

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 1 15:26:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Yes, there are lots of ideas but until someone actually has a working
> patch to make CCSM better, the complaints posted on this thread are
> still valid. And one of the most important points as Didier posted is
> that CCSM has had very little work done on it in along time despite
> known problems. I hate to be off-putting but what CCSM needs is not
> "power users on mailing lists, forums, twitter, etc." but developers.

One person stepped up to the plate to try to (start) solving the problem:

 [Alan Bell]
 * debian/patches/01_remove_redundant_sliders.patch:
   - remove sliders which are redundant and potentially dangerous
     combination when using the mousewheel to scroll the page

This is in precise now. Thanks Alan!

More to Petko's point; we do have Compiz bugs and outreach as part of
the general Unity developer growth. In my experience however it's very
difficult to get new volunteers to be able to just dive into Compiz
because it's complicated.

And as far as I can tell no one cared about it's state in Ubuntu
before and so far out of all the recommendations and flames on the
internet for how to fix it only one person has even tried since then.