Language Chooser at Login 3: The Choosening (or: Keyboard Selector)

Mathias Bynke mabynke at myopera.com
Tue Sep 13 12:40:10 UTC 2011

På Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:53:33 +0200, skrev Christopher James Halse Rogers
<raof at ubuntu.com>:

> Rovanion in #ubuntu-devel brought to me a problem that's related to the
> lack of language selector - we also don't have a keyboard selector.  I
> don't think I've seen this discussed before, and I think it should be
> addressed.
>
> The problem description here is:
> You have a multi-user system with multiple keymaps.  This could be
> dvorak/qwerty, or latin/cyrillic is apparently common.  Different users
> can then have passwords using different keymaps, which means that
> unity-greeter needs to be able to understand this.
>
> Either unity-greeter would need to cache each user's keymap and
> automatically switch keymap for the password field, or use something
> like the keyboard indicator in the greeter.

As a dvorak/qwerty, I see it as a necessity to have a keyboard indicator
easily accessible anytime I need to type my password.
Remembering what keyboard layouts people use would also be a nice and
time-saving feature, but the user _must_ be able to easily figure out and
change which layout is used.
We have to be careful around this, as a newbie user might not realize
what's going on if they suddenly can't log in anymore.