Language Chooser at Login 3: The Choosening (or: Keyboard Selector)

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 12 20:53:33 UTC 2011

Rovanion in #ubuntu-devel brought to me a problem that's related to the
lack of language selector - we also don't have a keyboard selector.  I
don't think I've seen this discussed before, and I think it should be
addressed.

The problem description here is:
You have a multi-user system with multiple keymaps.  This could be
dvorak/qwerty, or latin/cyrillic is apparently common.  Different users
can then have passwords using different keymaps, which means that
unity-greeter needs to be able to understand this.

Either unity-greeter would need to cache each user's keymap and
automatically switch keymap for the password field, or use something
like the keyboard indicator in the greeter.