Does Ubuntu upload personal information by default and without permission now?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 20:09:55 UTC 2011

Den 12. okt. 2011 19:52, skrev David Barth:
> I don't know either. But I suspect that would take some previous space
> on the CD and then local install. Not to mention the need for very
> frequent updates. And an out-of-date database would be even worse, ie
> not returning any of the new music hits.
>
> I feel the online mode is the only one really making sense.

Well, unlike software packages, released albums usually aren't updated,
so only new albums would have to be downloaded. I don't think it would
be useful to download all the song titles in the world just for the sake
of privacy though. Most people wouldn't mind searching for music online,
as long as they know they're doing it.

But I do think the online search should be opt-in instead of opt-out.
It's better to err on the side of caution in cases where privacy is at
all an issue.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad