[Desktop12.04-Topic] Accessibility pollish.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 4 23:07:55 UTC 2011

Hey folks,

Since Unity has been introduced, many strides have been made with accessibility. Unity 3D is approximately 80% accessible, so far as official oneiric packages go, and unity-2d is 99% accessible, thanks to the great work from the QT a11y folks, and the unity-2d developers. Both are likely to be 100% accessible for the LTS, which is great. However, they are not the only areas of accessibility that need improving.

I have already started making a work item list of issues to address, to give the desktop more pollish when it comes to accessibility. Such issues include:
 * Making sure all indicators have accessible descriptions/labels.
 * Making sure any icons in indicator menus that need accessible descriptions/labels have them, a prime use case is network manager, to indicate wireless network strength.
 * Further pollish on Ubiquity's accessibility, particularly selecting a timezone.
 * Connecting up the rest of the accessibility profiles in the ubiquity a11y indicator.
 * Further pollish of the unity greeter accessibility experience.
 * Make sure the accessibility experience between unity 2d and 3d is the same.

The list I have is slightly more technical and goes into more detail, but what is listed above is the gist of what I have. Whether this needs a session at UDS I don't know, but a blueprint will likely be needed for work items tracking.

Luke