EOL for couchdb and desktopcouch

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 20:35:14 UTC 2011

Den 22. nov. 2011 17:17, skrev Rick Spencer:

> DesktopCouch performance on the client, and failures to sync on the
> server have been have both major thorns in my side. Not to mention
> suffering through writing javascript map/reduce statements, ug!

First of all, you can write that stuff in Python, and that's not ugh.
That's woo hoo! -- Homer Simpson style. :)

What exactly is the bottleneck with DesktopCouch? I've never used it for
very large databases, but I did test CouchGrid with 50k rows once, and
that was fairly smooth. I think that was on my IGEPv2, which is a
single-core, 720MHz OMAP3 board with 512MB RAM. In real applications, I
don't think I'd want to load that many results at once in any case though.

> I, therefore, welcome this move. I really want the ability to have a
> local but synced store with an easy API, but DesktopCouch was just not
> able to provide this. I am very grateful that the team is going to
> apply what's been learned to a new generation of such functionality,
> and I will be the first to write a DictionaryGrid that uses it! :)

Sure, being able to turn any database solution into an offline/syncable
solution that can be used with any other type of database on any other
device, platform or operating system, seems absolutely fantastic.
Actually, it does sound fantastic, in the proper sense of the word. I
find it a little difficult to believe that anything like this can be
accomplished in only a few months. I don't really understand how it
would be possible at all, but then there are lots of people who are
smarter than I am. Tell you what, though. If anything close to this is
available by the time Precise is released, I'll definitely find the time
to help you write that grid. That's a promise. :)

The blueprint for all this doesn't say much, except, mostly,  that
anything should be possible on everything, anywhere. And it's very hard
not to agree with that. But I would love to read something a little more
specific, if anyone has a nice link?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad