EOL for couchdb and desktopcouch

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Tue Nov 22 16:17:39 UTC 2011

On 11/22/2011 04:45 PM, John Rowland Lenton wrote:

>> First you convince
>> developers to rely on your infrastructure for their apps, and then, out
>> of the blue, you remove key parts of it?
>
> it wasn't working. That's the whole point.
I strongly agree with this. I think I've probably written more
desktop-couch code than anyone outside the Online Services team.

DesktopCouch performance on the client, and failures to sync on the
server have been have both major thorns in my side. Not to mention
suffering through writing javascript map/reduce statements, ug!

I, therefore, welcome this move. I really want the ability to have a
local but synced store with an easy API, but DesktopCouch was just not
able to provide this. I am very grateful that the team is going to apply
what's been learned to a new generation of such functionality, and I
will be the first to write a DictionaryGrid that uses it! :)

Cheers, Rick