Inter-bugtracker Comment Forwarding [was: Re: Default Music Player in Ubuntu 12.04]

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 10 03:11:08 UTC 2011

[Sorry to those who receive this twice. I accidentally sent it out from the
wrong e-mail.]

On 09/11/2011 02:42, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> The launchpad guys say that GNOME had been on the todo list but they
> didn't get it completed, and offhand didn't remember what the specific
> blocker was in getting it set up.  If it is important let me know and I
> can escalate it for the LP maintenance team to investigate further.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's pretty important for users to
be able to remain solely on our bug reports if they wish to do so. I imagine
that a non-trivial number of casual users do not want to be registering for
accounts over a non-trivial number of bug trackers apart from Launchpad
especially if they experience bugs in multiple projects.

In fact, I would imagine such a thought going through some of their minds: "I've
already signed up on your bug tracker (launchpad) to report a bug on your crappy
unstable software that I don't feel like using any further, and now you're
telling me to go sign up on another bug tracker (bugzilla) because the upstream
developers don't want to come over and communicate directly with me?"

On the other hand, it would also be unfair to force upstream developers to chase
down users on bug trackers of each distribution their software gets deployed on.
Over the last month, distrowatch reports 8 distributions with above 1000 hits
per day, 20 distributions with above 500 hits per day, and 98 distributions with
above 100 hits per day. The statistic very roughly translates to the number of
distributions in active use, but I don't think not many upstreams have the
manpower to be chasing down users on this many bug trackers (assuming each
distribution has its own).

And so, with these thoughts in mind, I've been playing the part of the mindless
copy-paste drone that cross-posts comments from both bug trackers so that
upstream developers get the information they want.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin