Default Desktop Experience for 11.04 - User testing results

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Sun Apr 17 15:21:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 09:17 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> > > Which ones?
> > Changing the background image and setting in general.
>
> On the contrary.  Changing the wallpaper and screensaver are comforting
> personalisation steps that new users seem to undertake on their own.
That was my point. You don't personalize something until you *own* it.
Until you've used it enough that you know how you want to own it. It's
not something you do while you are carrying out other tasks.

In any case, it's a moot point, since changing the desktop background
was something that the study found users could do easily, they were
blocked by the usability engineer telling them not to do it in the
obvious manner.

Cheers, Rick