[Oneiric-Topic] GTK3/GNOME3

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 14:21:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 15:03 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 avril 2011 à 11:22 +0200, Krzysztof Klimonda a écrit :
> > Hmm.. I'd like to propose bringing back the idea of the Stracciatella
> > session, and making it possible to get both GNOME3 and Gtk+3
> > applications to look and behave as close as possible to what users get
> > in other distributions.
>
> Hi,
>
> The idea was never really dropped but it's not likely it will be an
> official focus for the team, contributions to help getting it working
> better are welcome though

Hey,

I know it hasn't been dropped, but there is still quite a lot of work
left to be done, so I'd like to have a list of things that have to be
done to make GNOME Shell a "first class citizen" in Oneiric created
during UDS-O. I know it has been discussed during last UDS with GNOME
developers to some extent, so it's possible that the list is at least
partially done already.

Some of the changes required are trivial, like explicitly setting
LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 to disable new scrollbars, but some other, like
restoring the default GtkStatusIcon behaviour for all applications. will
take quite a lot of time and effort, and will require some help from
both Desktop and Ayatana teams to make it happen.

I'm planning on working on those issues in Oneiric almost exclusively,
but I can't tell how much time am I going to have right now.

Cheers,
  KK