Featured Apps for Maverick

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Sep 8 19:28:40 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 07:32:49PM +0200, Sense Hofstede wrote:
> On 8 September 2010 19:22, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> > "Good" is a fairly subjective measure with games.  ;-)
> > I'd say, let all the games cycle in and out.
> >
> With good games I meant games that are of great quality. Something
> that even people who don't like the genre can agree on that it is a
> good game. Well written, with high-quality artwork, etc.  But of
> course, a large part of this is subjective and a large part of the
> label 'good' is made up of what the current communis opinis thinks is
> good. You've got a point here, but I do think we can distinguish at
> least a little bit in quality.

Yes, it's subjective and subjective on several different lines.  "Good
quality" could mean any one or combination of:

  * High production values
  * UI usability/learnability
  * Stability/bug-free
  * Gameplay/replayability
  * Unique concept
  * Strong open source development community

Many, many games score high in one or two areas and fall short in
others.  Each of us will have a different idea of which of these are
more important than others.

There are also a lot of popular or quality games available to Ubuntu
users which aren't eligible for inclusion in the Featured Apps list
anyway.  (E.g. farmville and ilk, proprietary games, emulator-based games...)

So I don't think we should set expectations that this is a "best of the
best" list, but just a collection of "interesting new open source games
to try out".

Regarding "damaging" user perceptions... I think that's overstating
worries a bit.  Certainly no app should be included in the Featured Apps
collection if it could "damage" someone's opinon.  (But that too is
subjective...  certainly Dwarf Fortress would fall into this "mind
damaging" category yet it is totally awesome.)

Bryce