Sporadic UI halts on Meerkat Netbook - how to debug

frederik.nnaji at gmail.com frederik.nnaji at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:49:28 BST 2010

Hi Milan,

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:25, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan at club.fr> wrote:

> There's nothing specially related to GUIs in this problem, I think
> that's a bug in the kernel.

everything is connected, reliability in the UI *depends* on conditional
reliability in the core/kernel

> So I'm not "deferring the problem to another
> list", I'm just saying that there's no hope the desktop team will fix
> it [...]

i agree totally with you, the desktop team can't fix this alone, this is
bigger than only desktop team or only kernel hackers..

> and the only option is to discuss this with kernel developers. Have
> a look at the bug report I linked to, and you'll see that's the only
> guarantee to avoid talking with nobody listening...

true. it's difficult to get this one across to anybody, because nobody
really feels responsible.
If UI response gets improved on a UI level, I/O stutters will most likely
still occur, if I/O misbehaviour is fixed, UI response might still have its
problems and issues..

To reserve a legit amount of "power" for what i would call UI Reliability is
a joint venture for all of the desktop and its core, i don't think anybody
can go this one alone, we'd just end up in the same vicious circle of
performance issues again next cycle..

safe