Replace Shotwell (was F-Spot) with Solang?

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu May 20 08:04:16 BST 2010

Some points that were in favour of Shotwell:
- Already packaged in Ubuntu Universe (i.e. it has good user exposure)
- Full-time developer resource (Yorba)
- Very fast load and browsing speed

Shotwell does not have all the functionality we want before it will
replace F-Spot, but we are tracking the missing features here:
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-shotwell
These features will probably be complete by Shotwell 0.7 (in time for
Maverick).

Some points about Solang:
- Solang requires tracker to be installed by default and currently it
isn't.  I believe we don't use tracker currently due to performance
concerns.
- There was no-one pushing Solang in the UDS session
- No Lucid package
- Don't seem to be able to install the dependencies in Lucid to build Solang

I went into this session expecting to push the "wait and see" approach
but was swayed by the feedback about Shotwell and the frustration with
F-Spot.

--Robert