Ubuntu Minimum Supported Resolution

Jason J. Herne hernejj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 01:26:14 GMT 2010

I've noticed a whole bunch of open bugs that complain about application
windows & dialog boxes that do not fit (or scale down to) some resolution.
I've been toying with the idea of cleaning some of these up.  before I can
devise a proper strategy, however, I have a few questions about Ubuntu's
minimum supported resolution.

According to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements:

Desktop bare minimum = 640x480
Desktop recommended = 1024x768

Netbook Remix bare minimum = [not listed]
Netbook Remix recommended = 800x600

This information is not entirely clear to me.  In my opinion "bare minimum"
system requirements mean that Ubuntu's operation will be non-optimal but
still functional.  If an application window or dialog does not properly fit
in the bare minimum resolution then, in my opinion, this application or
dialog is not functional because a user will only be able to properly
interact with the program though the use of clever and non-obvious
workarounds.  However, I've seen multiple dialogs that do not properly fit
in 640x480 resolution.  This leads me to the following questions:

If Ubuntu Desktop has dialogs that do not properly fit in 1024x768 then
certainly this must be a bug. Correct?
Ubuntu Desktop has dialogs that do not properly fit in 640x480.  Is this
okay or should it be considered a bug?
If Netbook Remix has dialogs that do not properly fit in 800x600 then this
certainly must be a bug as well. Correct?

If the publicly stated "minimum supported resolution" is 640x480 then
shouldn't we either
a) Ensure that all of the programs that we officially support in Ubuntu can
operate correctly in 640x480?
b) Raise the publicly stated "minimum supported resolution"?
c) Maybe consider doing both? :)

The same questions apply to Netbook Remix.   However, Netbook Remix
currently has no minimum supported resolution listed.  Should we:
a) Assume 800x600 to be the minimum supported resolution?
b) Officially assign a minimum supported resolution?

Thanks for your time.  :)

--
- Jason J. Herne (hernejj at gmail.com)