[Proposal] rbpitch: Rhythmbox Plugin

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 10 02:19:55 BST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Sean McNamara <smcnam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been working on a new plugin for Rhythmbox in my spare time for
> several months. The plugin allows the user to change the pitch, tempo,
> and speed of the music currently playing (each of these elements can
> be changed independently of each other).

Hi Sean, thanks for working on this and for asking about how to get
this software in Ubuntu!

> I have never built a new package for Ubuntu before, but my main
> confusion is that I don't know what the political / organizational
> process is for seeing this through. I can technically figure out how
> to create the Debian package scripts; but once I have that, what's the
> next step to get it included in Ubuntu+1?

I've been working on documentation just for people like you here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Upstream

The short answer to your questions is: depends or not you can find
someone to do the work. In an ideal world we'd have a pool of waiting
developers ready to take your software, maintain it's packaging for
you etc. so you could concentrate on your upstream project. In reality
it can be challenging to find someone with enough free time to give
you a hand. You've done a great job blogging your progress, engaging
with users on the forums, and marketing your plug in, so I encourage
you to continue doing that. Half the battle is getting the word out.

It can be a bummer to spend so much work on your project and not be
able to get that our to users in an easy manner. We're working on a
post release apps process to start to help app developers get software
out to users: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process

In the meantime please keep chipping away at it, I'm sure we'll need
feedback from people like you to help make this process easier. They
don't let me experiment with cloning Ubuntu developers so that's why
we're always looking to grow the developer community. Since you've got
a fresh pair of eyes I'd love feedback on how those Upstream pages
work for you, feel free to email me directly so we can fix them for
the next person.

Also, developerweek is coming up on IRC, might be a good place to
start to finding help: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek

--
Jorge Castro
jorge (at) ubuntu.com