Why is Gnome-App-Install inaccessible from the netbook remix?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun May 3 23:17:35 BST 2009

I installed 9.04 on my girlfriend's EeePC and discovered that, while it
can be run manually from a terminal, there's no way to launch
Gnome-App-Install from the interface.  Instead I had to rely on
synaptic, which for me had some very weird issues with its quick search
button - it looked like there were zero packages other than what was
already installed.  I couldn't even find flash that way.

I can only imagine what difficulty my girlfriend would have encountered
if I asked her to install Flash and Frozen Bubble on her own, and how
much easier this would be if Gnome-App-Install were available somewhere.

Why don't we put it on the applications menu in netbook remix?  Or, at
the least, somewhere in the administration menu?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie