Why is Gnome-App-Install inaccessible from the netbook remix?

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon May 4 03:24:52 BST 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> I installed 9.04 on my girlfriend's EeePC and discovered that, while it
> can be run manually from a terminal, there's no way to launch
> Gnome-App-Install from the interface.  Instead I had to rely on
> synaptic, which for me had some very weird issues with its quick search
> button - it looked like there were zero packages other than what was
> already installed.  I couldn't even find flash that way.
>
> I can only imagine what difficulty my girlfriend would have encountered
> if I asked her to install Flash and Frozen Bubble on her own, and how
> much easier this would be if Gnome-App-Install were available somewhere.
>
> Why don't we put it on the applications menu in netbook remix?  Or, at
> the least, somewhere in the administration menu?

There are two issues here:

1. UNR is lpia, not i386, hence no flash. Given lpia basically is i386
plus some funky stuff, from what I understand, you should be able to
force i386 packages to install on lpia. There has to be a better
solution, however.

2. G-a-i is buried in the Accessories menu. Trust me, I had to go
looking for it as well. One possible solution would be to have a fixed
menu entry at he the button left, opposite the quit button.

Cheers,

Corey