Desktop Team 20090303 meeting minutes

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at
Tue Mar 3 18:53:11 GMT 2009

Here are the minutes from the desktop team meeting. You can also find 
them here:

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

== Present ==
 * Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
 * Alexander Sack (asac)
 * Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
 * Bryce Harrington (bryce)
 * Chris Cheney (calc)
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)  

== Apologies ==
 * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) - holiday

== Agenda ==
Due to the new GNOME release, UIF coming up in two days, and other items, we 
decided to have a short meeting this week. Reviewed outstanding items, and 
briefly touched on release status.

 * Outstanding actions from last meeting
 * Release Bugs/Release Status
 * [[|Sponsoring Overview 
 * Review activity reports
 * Any other business

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==
 * ACTION: Desktop team to revisit work items and adjust items that are 
"noise", or set items to postponed that obviously won't get done.
  * Result: Not done, see below
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to comment the repost the work items list, and to 
include comments with some suggestions, etc..
  * Result: done
 * ACTION: bryce to set up an FFE for -ati 6.12.0, which will bring R6xx/7xx 
  * Result: Done
 * ACTION: kenvandine to work with Dx team to identify changes for UIF, and 
also changes that might require a UIFE.
  * Result: Done, see:
 * ACTION: Desktop team to review current goals and update as needed. Feel 
free to update outside the normal web site if it's easier to do so.
  * Result: Some progress, not everyone has revisited.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to send reminder mail with appropriate info to desktop 
team to trigger all hands presentation submissions.
  * Result: This was done by mdz. Note that the deadline is Monday the ninth.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to follow up with design team regarding artwork and 
UIF dates.
  * Result: Done. There are actually three deadline dates that do not line up 
with other freezes, and they are not well defined.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to ask foundations team for measure of improved boot 
time for feature list.
  * Result: The foundations team is already including this. No action 
necessary for desktop team.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to start a wiki page for brainstorming features for 
  * Result: rickspencer3 to simply post ideas from last week to the marketing 
team's wiki page.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to follow up with dholbach wrt sponsoring and what the 
team should be doing
  * Result: No progress
 * ACTION: kenvandine to log a bug on the look and feel of notifications on a 
non-composited desktop and follow up with Dx team.
  * Result: Done (LP: #334063)

== Actions from this meeting ==
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to post ideas from last week to the marketing team's 
wiki page.

== Release Bugs/Release Status ==
 * pitti is concerned about a lack of movement regarding RC bugs:
 * X appears to be shaping up as a hot area for Jaunty in terms of bugs and 
 * The Dx team may need some UIFE for certain bugs, such as

=== Bugs ===
==== Alpha 6 Bugs ====
===== asac =====
 * : 
High : Fix Committed

==== Beta Bugs ====
===== asac =====
: Wishlist : Triaged

===== bryce =====
 * : 
Wishlist : Triaged

===== calc =====
concurrent/+bug/305790 : High : Incomplete
===== pitti =====
 * : Low : In 

==== Jaunty Bugs ====
===== asac =====
 * : High : Fix 
 * : High 
: Triaged
 * : High : 
 * : Medium 
: Triaged
 * : 
Medium : Confirmed

===== bryce =====
intel/+bug/304871 : High : Triaged

===== pitti =====
 * : High : 
In Progress
 * : Medium : In 
 * : Undecided 
: Incomplete

=== Exceptions ===

=== Work Items ===
 * We are way above the trend line this week, implying that a lot of stuff is 
going to get cut. Looking through the list, it does not appear that any very 
important work items will be missed. rickspencer3 will follow up with each 
team member with outstanding work items via email.
 * For blocked items that won't get done in Jaunty, please move them to 
"postponed", and ensure that any team that may have a dependency on that work 
item is aware that it will not get done for Jaunty.
 * Update work items for next week here:

== Activity reports ==

=== Alexander Sack (asac) ===

 * network manager
  * lengthy discussions with upstream about modem prober and how to best 
address issues
  * triage and fix crashes of ifupdown plugin reported to debian
  * discuss way to move forward for integrating work for ericsson modem into 
NM and MM mainline
  * support NM stable update and proxy upstream discussion
 * did some suspend and resume testing and complained about bad behaviour to 
leann; next: file bugs for X (which seems to crash).
 * firefox security updates - working on bits and backports for this weeks sec 
 * further investigation for langpack issues with ArneGoetje
 * phone call with Arne about fontconfig in jaunty and Karmic
 * thoughts about all hands participation
 * help doko in testing python transition upgrade (from PPA)
 * debug bzr-builddeb regression with james_w which turned out to be triggered 
by python 2.6

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===
 * call with Alexander Sack about the fontconfig package:
  * the fontconfig package continues to set a basic desktop setting
  * the font packages should be updated to set fontconfig settings
depending on the font and pixel size used. This affects hinting, hinting
style and anti-aliasing settings
  * asac will try to dig through the gnome font settings code and add a
checkbox "Use system settings", which will use fontconfig's settings
instead of Gnome's
 * submitted nan_TW at latin locale to upstream glibc for inclusion
 * asked mpt to review language-selector GUI
 * contacted Rosetta folks to help me fix some errors with the
translation templates in Jaunty
 * requested new full-export for Jaunty translations
 * played around with my new CJK font in order to find out how to get
best rendering results

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===
=== Distro ===
* Sponsoring 2hr:  qcad(#311476), usplash-theme-ubuntu(#245437),
  xfsprogs(#65304), xen-3.3(#216761), inkscape (#303708),

=== Xorg Work ===
 * Wrote up an architecture doc at davidm's request: 
 * AMD call about -fglrx; should get new driver by March 16th
 * Checked with mvo about fglrx/ati migration code for upgraders
 * Follow up to xkeyboard-config and -ati bugs
 * Bug fix uploads to -ati, libxcbfile, mesa, others...
 * Filed sync requests for bunch of X drivers

=== Misc ===
* Sent in proposal for all-hands presentation
* Re-tested/debugged my launchpadlib scripts after latest LP update
=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
 * Emailed ooo-build dev list about OOo cairo subpixel bug - bno#472347
 * Emailed Fedora OOo dev about gtkprint patch, which is going to be dropped 
due to bugs
 * Emailed Novell about new Gnome a11y patch for OOo, currently only for OOo 
 * Filed bug on gvfs-fuse which is affecting OOo ability to save - bgo#573837
 * Filed bug on libxalan2-java which breaks ability to import/export certain 
filetypes in OOo - lp#337039
 * Updated performance review goals
 * Preparing 1:3.0.1-3ubuntu1
 * Working on ooo split build packaging for jaunty ppa
 * Working on ooo official build packaging for testing purposes
 * Weekly OOo Release Status Meetings
 * Weekly desktop team meeting
 * Lots of OOo bug triage

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===
 * Packaging KDE 4.2.1
 * archive admin
 * package qt creator for 1.0 release as requested by upstream
 * fix hover on tabs in kickoff
 * fix amarok compile
 * fix update-notifier-kde to not need adept
 * alpha 5 testing, fixing and release

 * Qt 4.5 final packages
 * Finish 4.2.1

=== Ken VanDine (kenvandine) ===
 * Had my first package sponsored, yay!
 * Reviewed bugs related to UIF, and tagged as jaunty-uif
   * Everyone please keep an eye out for the jaunty-uif tag on bugs you
work on.
 * Patched evolution to play well with message indicator as well as do the 
right thing for gnome-stracciatella
 * Helped OLS guys with some packages

 * Help with GNOME 2.25.92
 * More OLS packaging
 * Help DX team with their work on system-config-printer
 * Anything else that comes up related to UIF

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Assigned blueprints: all implemented

Currently open stable/milestoned bugs:
 * #64147 (usplash logo is stretched on non-4:3/16:9 displays): no time yet, 
will attack soon
 * #335888 (default set of installed themes needs to be changed): no time yet, 
will attack soon
 * #3697 (update pyxdg's gettext support for .desktop files): no time yet, low-
prio since it's not really used any more
Non-chores stuff done:
 * Lots of apport retracer shepherding; guided LaMont to what's needed for 
making launchpadlib work on ronne, so that we can switch them from p-lp-bugs 
to launchpadlib soon
 * ddeb-retriever: fix handling of temporary files, which were cluttering 
macaroni's /tmp
 * Lots of bug fixing in: xserver-xorg-video-intel, usb-creator, tzdata, 
langpack-locales, jockey, hal-info, gdm, hal, cups, apport
 * Packaging training for Ken VanDine
 * updated apport, jockey, calibre, and python-mechanize for Python 2.6
 * update-manager handling conf call

 * anthy, bcel, brasero, dput, eel2, gdm, gnome-python, gvfs, human-icon-
theme, nvidia-graphics-drivers-180, pidgin, policykit-gnome, scim-anthy, sl-
modem, transmission, notify-osd
 * ack'ed 5 syncs
 * reviewed, but not uploaded: texlive-extra, xfsprogs (forwarded patches to 

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===
 * GNOME 2.25.92 update: 
pygobject pygtk poppler shared-mime-info gtk+ glib gnome-applets
gnome-utils gnome-keyring gvfs nautilus gtkhtml file-roller gedit
deskbar-applet seahorse gtksourceview evolution-data-server evolution
evolution-exchange gnome-settings-daemon evince

 * sponsoring: gnome-control-center vino vinagre gnome-system-monitor
glibmm2.4 evolution gnome-settings-daemon

 * lot and lot and lot of desktop bugs triage

More information about the ubuntu-desktop mailing list