Contributing usability expertise to ubuntu project

Odysseus Flappington deriziotis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:17:04 GMT 2009

2009/1/19 Jon Bolt <jon at idnzor.net>:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction in
> terms of contact information or resources related to usability and the
> Ubuntu desktop.
>
> I want to start contributing my user experience expertise to the Ubuntu
> community. Currently I work for a user experience consultancy as a
> usability analyst, although my background is in software development.
>
> Although I will have to okay it with my employer, I would like to start
> working with different projects under the Ubuntu or Gnome umbrella. I
> have experience in using a wide variety of usability techniques, both in
> academic and commercial environments.
>
> So if anyone would like to point me in the way of contacts that would be
> great. Additionally, if any project developers would like me to
> collaborate with them, please let me know.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Jon Bolt

It's a shame no one responded to your email. Usabillity is something
we really need to focus on. Perhaps re-send your above email to
ubuntu-devel-discuss to see if any of the devs point you in the right
direction.

Jono Bacon made a call for ideas on better facilitating usability
contributions on his blog a while back, but we haven't really seen
anything come of it.

Right now, the only way I can see to contribute usability experience
to Ubuntu is to submit specific usability bugs to individual projects
(i.e. just a regular bug-report about a usability issue you've
identified), is that a framework you feel you could contribute
through? How better could projects implement usability development?

Thanks,
Alex