Advice needed - moving GNOME help files into langpacks

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 30 10:56:14 BST 2009

Hello again,

> <shaunm> to get yelp to pick up the omf files in that location, I'm
> pretty certain you only need to modify rarian

Argh, while this seems true for most programs, it already breaks with
gnome-terminal. That unfortunately doesn't just call
ghelp:gnome-terminal (as most other GNOME programs do), but
terminal_util_show_help() detects the locale and assembles the xml
file path all by itself. I. e. with my rarian patch and moved files,
"yelp ghelp:gnome-terminal" works fine, but pressing F1 in g-t just
gives me the C help.

Now, if it were _only_ gnome-terminal, this could be fixed to just
throw away this redundant code, but at this point I'm not sure how
many other packages would break with that.

So perhaps it's better to use the symlink farm. There will be many of
them, one for each file (since dpkg wreaks havoc with symlinks to
directories), but I tested that dangling symlinks are handled
gracefully.

Thanks,

Martin