Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 27 20:20:34 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Przemek
Kulczycki<przemekkulczycki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Matthew East<mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hi Matthew,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas<mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
>>> Now, AppCenter has a brand name: the Ubuntu Software Store.
>>> <http://launchpad.net/software-store>
>>> And it has a package in Ubuntu Karmic: software-store.
>>> <http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-store>
>>
>> Looking forward to trying this. I had a quick browse through the wiki
>> page but couldn't find any discussion about the name, so here goes.
>>
>> Doesn't "store" imply that the user will be paying for the software? I
>> really liked "center".
>
> Only for the Americans I guess :)
> Those who learned British English will understand store as a warehouse/stock.

Well, I don't know any free warehouses either... But I'm British, and
my primary understanding of a "store" is an online or physical place
where I can purchase things. Anyhow, Ubuntu's primary locale is US
English, so I think a discussion of the name should proceed on the
basis that the name should work in US English.

I can see from the spec (and LP answer 81103) that it will be possible
to purchase software from this app in the future, but it will also be
possible to get software for free there, and for that reason I think a
neutral name that fits both is preferable.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org