about gdm compile for ubuntu8.10

Yi Yu alexdoer.yu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:25:27 BST 2009

Hi all,

I am alex from Beijin, I just downloaded the gdm-2.20.8 code and did
configure/make, after that, I found that a gdm-binary file is created in the
directory gdm_**/daemon, but I can not find it in /usr/sbin/ of the
 original ubuntu 8.10 system, as I know, the gdm verion for ubuntu8.10 is
2.20.8-0ubuntu3. It seems I make some mistake in configure or make, or
I used wrong code.  My question is *How can I configure/make gdm code for
ubuntu 8.10? and Can I used checkinstall to make deb package for gdm? *below
is weblink used by me to download code:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/2.20.8-0ubuntu3

Thanks in advance!!!
Alex