Gnome-Bt should be removed from applications menu

Nanley Chery nanleychery at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 17:36:19 GMT 2008

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> What if someone sends me a mail and I'm using Mutt? I don't think the
> terminal will open gnome-bt. Is that a valid case for you? (although I
> won't expect any normal user to use Mutt ;)

You are definitely right that a normal user wouldn't be using Mutt -
that's for the hardcore users. And if a hardcore user insists on working
only through the terminal, I fail to see how a menu entry for a
graphical app is better than running gnome-bt from the terminal with the
command, ' gnome-btdownload '.

> I don't think the point of the menu being too huge has any value
> right now, and it's easy and user-friendly to edit the menus and hide some
> entries.

If the artwork team had the same sentiment, they wouldn't care about providing
a brand new and refreshing theme - they would be satisfied with just giving a
clunky theme as it is just as easy to change Ubuntu's appearance. This is not
the case; however, because first impressions really count. And just as the art
team would like new users to be impressed by the new theme, so it should be
that the desktop team should, as well, want users to be impressed by the simplicity
and intuitiveness of the default desktop - a goal that adding the Gnome-Bt entry
(or any unnecessary complexity) would hurt.

> It's not that user-friendly to add new ones though - you will need to
> enter the command, search an icon for it if you want it to be nice... I won't
> expect a normal user to know that the torrent client's binary is
> /usr/bin/gnome-btdownload.

That is just not true. The process you've describe above is for adding a
launcher (usually it's used for adding a non-menu entry). To enable an entry,
all a user has to do is right click the menubar, choose "Edit Menus," go to the
Internet section, and check off Gnome-bt. Enabling an entry is as easy as can be.

With the typical user in mind, I believe it wise to remove the gnome-bt from
the menu.