DisplayConfigGtk

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 19 13:40:43 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 22:21 -0400, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> the coming XRandR support will require some changes to the layout of the
> main window and the monitor dialog, since we are going to support
> configurations that can be completely applied on the fly (xrandr for
> open source drivers) and file based configuration. Furthermore I would
> like to completely replace GNOME's resolution changing capplet.

Bear in mind that file based configuration is eventually going away.

If you select a configuration with xrandr, it should be stored such that
when you login, the settings are re-applied.  The existing xrandr screen
resolution applet does this today through gnome-settings-daemon.

If I open that applet, I would expect to be able to set up screens how I
like, and then every single time I login ever-after, the screens will be
set up that way.

I do not expect this to change any other user's setting; their screens
should stay set up the way *they* like them.

The only additional option then becomes making my settings the default
for other users who haven't expressed a preference (ie. gdm's settings).
This should be a locked option unless I've authenticated as an admin
(cf. PolicyKit), and should change the settings of the gdm user so that
gdm's gnome-settings-daemon applies them when it starts.

(Longer-term, this preference would also be used for the initial mode
 setting by the kernel.)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant