DisplayConfigGtk

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 19 14:08:37 GMT 2007

Am Montag, den 19.11.2007, 13:40 +0000 schrieb Scott James Remnant:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 22:21 -0400, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
>
> > the coming XRandR support will require some changes to the layout of the
> > main window and the monitor dialog, since we are going to support
> > configurations that can be completely applied on the fly (xrandr for
> > open source drivers) and file based configuration. Furthermore I would
> > like to completely replace GNOME's resolution changing capplet.
> >
> Bear in mind that file based configuration is eventually going away.
>
> If you select a configuration with xrandr, it should be stored such that
> when you login, the settings are re-applied.  The existing xrandr screen
> resolution applet does this today through gnome-settings-daemon.
>
> If I open that applet, I would expect to be able to set up screens how I
> like, and then every single time I login ever-after, the screens will be
> set up that way.
>
> I do not expect this to change any other user's setting; their screens
> should stay set up the way *they* like them.
>
> The only additional option then becomes making my settings the default
> for other users who haven't expressed a preference (ie. gdm's settings).
> This should be a locked option unless I've authenticated as an admin
> (cf. PolicyKit), and should change the settings of the gdm user so that
> gdm's gnome-settings-daemon applies them when it starts.
>
> (Longer-term, this preference would also be used for the initial mode
>  setting by the kernel.)

That is the basic idea, but we have to see what we can get. Some
discussion is happening on the gnome-cc list.

Generally there will be always need for the configuration file or some
kind of overwriting infrastructure. Think of drivers that do not support
XRandR 1.2 or the bulletproof x. Currently it seems that Fedora will
push a capplet that can only deal with XRandR 1.2 what doesn't seem to
be sufficient. I would like to see a hook in the gnome-settings-daemon
that allows to start an alternative configuration tool if the GNOME tool
doesn't provide any backend plugins.

Cheers,

Sebastian