runlevel?

Ubuntu Newbie ubuntunewbie at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 17:38:45 GMT 2007

I would like to change the default boot runlevel, so that the X server does
not start automatically.  I don't want it to start until the command "startx"
is given.  This would make the entire screen a bash terminal at first, until
the X server is started (If I remember correctly, this can be accomplished by
changing the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to "3").

What worries me is whether I will be able to log on to Ubuntu at all if I do
this.  I get the impression that Gnome of KDE must be running in order to be
able to log on at all.

Is it possible to change the runlevel so that ubuntu boots without
automatically starting X, and, if it is, how should I go about to make these
changes without getting into trouble?
                                                   Thank You.