Nautilus should use a background by default

René Oelke oelke at jpk.com
Tue Sep 26 17:28:48 BST 2006

David Prieto schrieb:
> I'm not sure if there would really be any pros, I for once do it for the
> eye candy. The naked folder is ugly IMO, a background is a way to
> somehow dress it.

I like the "naked folder". A clean, simple, white BG is enough. It's
"reduced to the max" ;-)

Generally a BG depends on the "content density" of a folder and how the
content is shown in Nautilus. Imagine you have a list view. Lots of
lines and lots of information. It's better to read on plain BG. Your
example with the cover thumbnails is also a good reason to have no
background. There are so much images that the presence of a BG is
secondary. The focus lays on the content (i your case on the thumbs).
How many folders do you have with no or less content?

Perhaps it is worth to think about some "content-type dependent", plain
and absolut placed symbols as a background. For example: If i put an
audio cd in the cd-rom, the BG symbol could be a music or audio-like
image in the bottom-right corner. The same with a DVD or plugged-in iPod
(Didicam and so on). Or if you have a folder with lots of fotos, audios,
video ...

renoe

--
René Oelke