Installation suggestions

Viper550 gthompson at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 26 01:59:11 BST 2006

Ben Snyder wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Forgive me if this is the wrong list, or if this topic has been covered...
>
> First off, I've been using Ubuntu for a little over a month.  Great
> distro, until now I've used nothing but Debian at home and CentOS at
> work.  The only problem I see so far is that the desktop install doesn't
> give any options.  It would be great to have a developer version, which
> installs gcc, g++, autoconf, gnu make, etc.  Maybe this doesn't appeal
> to the target user base, though it would make my life as an admin much
> simpler.
>
> For now I've had to come up with a shell script to apt-get many
> additional packages before my users have a useful system in place.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Snyder

I can't believe you didn't know about the build-essential package!

sudo apt-get install build-essential

I know, Ubuntu is tailored more to the home user and does not include it
all by default, so we have a package called "build-essential" for the
people who actually need it, which downloads/installs all the packages
needed for basic compiling (what you have mentioned).

Viper550