Logout icon

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Thu May 18 12:45:41 BST 2006

Hi,

Manu Cornet wrote:
> Actually, I would suggest to replace this icon with the current
> "logout" icon from the logout dialog (the green circle from which an
> arrow exits). A few reasons for this suggestion :

Having thought about it, I would agree with you for a different reason.
I agree about green being like exit signs etc. but think that you could
just as easily argue it should be red to signify "stop" or other
dramatic system events. Green more commonly (in my experience) signifies
go or start.

The most important thing to me, and why I agree with your suggestion, is
consistency.

I think of the icon as representing "power off", because I always use it
for that, and that is why I suggested the power-off icon be used. But
the icon is not power off - the tooltip and menu entry say "log-out"
(even on a single-user system) - so the icon should similarly be the
log-out icon.

Thanks for your input, Manu.

Aaron