GUI partition mounting

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 2 11:11:37 GMT 2006

On 3/2/06, Wei Jie <weijie90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> System->Administration->Disks->Partitions is a nice GUI tool for
> mounting windows partitions, but it should us this in fstab:
> ntfs nls-utf8,umask-0222    0  0

I agree

instead of what it currently uses.
> Also, all partitions should be automatically mounted for all users
> (READ-ONLY FOR NTFS) so that newbies will have an easier time switching
> from m$ to Ubuntu. SuSe 10.0 mounts them in /windows/C(or D or E, but
> the drive letters don't correspond with their windoze equivalents)

My disks were automatically mounted, however, the few disks I chose not to
mount automatically weren't easy to mount at a later date -I had to
create a mount

point, something a MS user will find _very_ unintuitive (A folder, for
a disk!?)

My suggestion would be keep the 'hdaX' way of naming them, but make sure
that
any disks not selected on install are still easy to mount.

Also, shouldn't  non-admin users be able to use this tool in a 'safe mode'
for just
mounting disks?

wj
> -