Selecting music for example-content

Sandis Neilands sandisn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:59:19 GMT 2006

Hello Henrik!

On 2/19/06, Henrik Nilsen Omma <henrik at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Another problem with that list is that it contains almost exclusively
> classical music, and we might want a bit more variety. I would think a
> few short pieces, each under a meg, from 3-4 different genres would be
> good.

OK, if space on CD wasn't a problem, then 3 - 4 different genres would
be perfectly fine. Unfortunately ubuntu ships with outdated windows
software, so we can't have space for something more interesting or
usable for actual users.

Few thoughts then. If we pick from classics, we shouldn't go with
religious (or American) hymns. Also we shouldn't choose symphonies or
other heavy and long pieces.

> Good candidates from the Wikipedia list seem to be  Holst's Jupiter or
> Uranus. Cutting out one of the more lively segments of either of these
> would make for an engaging piece. Venus is too tranquil for our purpose
> and I'm worried about including 'Mars' simply because the 'God of war'
> is not very compatible with the spirit of Ubuntu.

Thumbs up for Jupiter. Venus is very beautiful, but you are right,
that it's perhaps too sleepy for purpose of the example content.
However I can't stress enough how rude it is to cut (cripple) music.
If Jupiter or any other candidate is too long, then it's better to
drop it from candidate list, than cut it.

> Also try:
> CantateDomino.ogg
> CeMoysDeMay.ogg
> Chromatic_Fuge_(Bach_BWV_930).ogg

First two are very low quality. I skipped Bach simply because I think
it doesn't go well with the playful spirit of ubuntu and free software
in general.

> Please have a listen to some of that if you have some time and esp. if
> you know stuff about music (which I don't)

My favourites from wikipedia. As you see, it's mostly piano works.

Brahms-waltz01.ogg
Brahms-waltz02.ogg
Brahms-waltz03.ogg
Brahms-waltz05.ogg
Brahms-waltz06.ogg
Brahms-waltz09.ogg
Brahms-waltz10.ogg
Brahms-waltz11.ogg (very nice)
Brahms-waltz12.ogg
Brahms-waltz13.ogg
Brahms-waltz14.ogg (also very nice, a bit dramatic though)
Brahms-waltz15.ogg (beautiful, but slow)
Brahms-waltz16.ogg (beautiful, but ends in minor)
Chopin-Berceuse.ogg
Chopin_Liszt_Zyczenie_(The_Maiden's_Wish)_Brian_E_Young.ogg
Chopin_Nocturne.ogg (beautiful, but slow and long)
Debussy_-_Mazurka.ogg (Unfortunately very low audio quality. Otherwise
it suits the image of dapper drake very well)
Holst-_jupiter.ogg (Vivid as a whole. Please don't cut it.)
Holst-_uranus.ogg
Holst-_venus.ogg
Liszt-_au_bord_d_une.ogg (IMHO the most beautiful peace from that
list. My personal favourite from that list.)

Cheers!
--
Sandis