Making example-content more visible

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 20 21:32:20 GMT 2006

Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> you might have heard of the ExampleContent spec already, which will
> bring funky content to our users.

<snip>
> I'd very much like to hear your input on this.

Here is a possible alternative:

* We place a single folder in /home/username/ called Examples. This will
be fairly discoverable because once the user has gone to Places -> Home
Folder she will find it. It also won't add another link to the Places
menu and it can be deleted easily.

This directory would contain 5-6 small files, all of which are
OpenOffice files. If we create these files with some care they should be
under 2-300Kb in total. One of them would be
IntroductionToExampleContent.odt.

Also in this directory would be a symlink called Media that would open
up the /usr/share/example-content location.
That would give you access to sound files, wallpapers, video, etc.

The point here is to separate out those files that the user might
actually want to play with and edit from those she would just listen to
or view. You might want to edit the text document or spreadsheet to
learn OpenOffice, but you are less likely to want to edit the sound
file. The IntroductionToExampleContent.odt file would explain how to
copy the stock content onto your local account though.

This is similar to how Windows does it. They put all the stuff in a
sub-folder of 'My Documents' but they obviously don't have a symlink to
more stuff :)

- Henrik