Issue : wireless networking "on-the-fly"

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 14 18:33:38 GMT 2006

Le lundi 13 février 2006 à 11:50 +0100, Lionel Dricot (aka Ploum) a
écrit :
> Hello (again ;-) ),

hi,

> - A very long boot because it waits for a timeout on eth0 (while eth0
> is obviously not connected)

Is eth0 a wireless card? Does it use dhcp? Anyway that's not really a
desktop bug ...

> - No way to easily fiddle between eth0 or wlan0

What do you mean?

> - network-admin is pure crap. I don't know anyone that understand how
> to make different places with it.

Thanks for the constructive comment :) I agree it's not optimal but
suggestions on how to make it better are welcome and would be useful
compared to that comment ...

> - network-admin is pure crap, 2 : it takes ages (really ages) to
> change between two connections and, most of the time, the change
> simply not occur or the connection is lost.

Another constructive comment, that's not my software but you should not
try to deal this way with upstream going that way ...

We don't really have bugs or complains about that. It should just call
the command line options, does it do the same if you run the commands by
hand?

> - network-admin is pure crap, 3 : often, it will eats 100% of the CPU
> without reason and without doing anything.

Same comment. No bug about that neither. Does it happen with dapper?
What do you do? Could you get a backtrace when that happens or give some
informations on the topic?

> - NetworkManager is maybe good but I don't understand what I have to
> do. The only thing it does, for now, is to reset my resolv.conf to a
> empty file.

Do you use a static configuration? network-manager is made to work with
dhcp and the dns should be provided by the dhcp...

> - I cannot understand how those network-admin, NM, wifi-radar, ...
> work with the standard /etc/init.d/networking

What do you mean?

> I've seen this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkMagic for a long
> time now but nothing seems to happen.

Some work has been made on network-manager during the distribution team
sprint that happened some days ago and the specification is scheduled
for dapper

>  My bash script solution is awful. Badly, it's the only one who seems
> to work for a lot of people...

What does it change, what does it do exactly?

> So, can anyone tell me :
>
> - What are the plans for this goal.

Having network-manager used on the desktop

> - What are the big problems that I don't understand

What are the problems you face exactly? Your mails is pretty vague and
if you don't describe what the issues are they are not likely to be
worked. network-admin works fine to configure my static IP,
network-manager works fine with wireless on my laptop ...

> - What is already done.

You can install network-manager from universe

> - What must be done (and what I can do ;-) )

Describe what issue you face to start maybe? :)

> I really hope to see a default Dapper install where networking is
> really easy.

It works fine for me since warty. The installer get my IP from the DHCP
without any issue and configure the card correctly, it works on boot.
Configuring an another card or IP with network-admin works fine as well.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher