Restoring the Help Icon in gnome-panel

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 14 18:00:03 GMT 2006

Taking this off the devel list.

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 13:49 +0100, Petr Tomeš wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Dana Olson <dana at ubuntustudio.com> wrote:
> > On 2/14/06, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
> > > I suggest adding a separate "Help" menu, to contain the Help and About
> > > items. Then it would be very obvious where the help was, and you
> > > wouldn't need to come up with a new icon for it.

I too think that 4 menus would be too many. Since speaking with Seb in
irc, he has made an extremely valid point: that the icons on the top
panel are mainly aimed at programs which get a lot of repeated use. The
logical conclusion of that is that Help may not warrant such an icon.

The problem raised in the original post is with ensuring that users will
know where to find the help. There are a number of other options we have
available, I think.

* Include a reference to the help in the installation flash animation
(hopefully this will be done)
* Include a note about where to find the help in the relevant section of
the browser start page
* Have some kind of first-run tooltip/bubble which tells the user where
help is, and then does not appear again.

I'm in favour of all of these.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF