Inkscape

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at hut.fi
Sun Feb 12 16:10:44 GMT 2006

Corey Burger wrote:
> I would also support this, but I think it should wait until Dapper+1.
> The major issue behind shipping Inkscape is that of space. It looks
> like Inkscape + libraries runs to about 9mb, not a small amount.

If you'd experiment with the 7-zip (p7zip) that's been talked at
ubuntu-devel, I'd think it'd easily save even more than that even if
just used for some specific packages (like language-packs or some
others) instead of bzip2 (yes, 7-zip is remarkably better than both gzip
and bzip2). Of course, it's a different issue whether it is wanted to be
used at all for dapper or not. At least after dapper it'd be needed
because there is stuff like Inkscape and more example content that
should be included and not left out because of the lack of CD space.

But if not, then dapper+1. People can use OOo Draw for their basic needs
meanwhile. One "issue" with Inkscape is that OOo doesn't handle SVG at
the moment I think? Some plugin/filter would more probably be available
for dapper+1. After that we could have OOo w/ SVG support, Inkscape,
Open Clipart (downloadable easily) with just the SVG and not the
"compatibility" PNGs and some nice OOo templates.

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> I would actually advocate removing Gimp from the default install in
> Dapper+1. It's a highly technical app. I use it myself, but people who
> need it can install it.

I think they (GIMP, Inkscape..) are definitely doing no harm if included
by default, if there are not too many of them for a submenu. Eg.
Internet-menu is starting to be full enough. Especially if that one nice
application is covering entire field of eg. bitmap handling, it is not
much of a "sacrifice" to have it in the applications menu. I think a lot
of a distribution's merits are about the default application selection -
not the ones you can install, even if done as easily as with
gnome-app-install. Something like basic features of F-Spot or gThumb can
coexist nicely with the advanced applications like GIMP.

People can experiment with eg. GIMP, seeing it in the menu, and easily
decide, by closing the application, if it looks like a bit too
complicated for their taste.

Also, bundled major applications (OpenOffice.org, GIMP, Inkscape,
Evolution etc.) are one main selling point over competing commercial
OSs, to which GIMP, OOo etc. can also be separately installed. It's just
nice to showcase how large coverage of common work-related tasks can be
done after installing Ubuntu. Quite a few people working in various
areas have an use for a vector graphics program (I see CorelDraw etc. in
many places), and for home use some audio/video editing tools would be
nice in the future.

-Timo