Logout screen logos.

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Sun Apr 23 04:43:06 BST 2006

I like the new green logout logo.

But something I've wondered for a while... should hibernate really use
the "standby" symbol? I think it should use the "power" symbol like shut
down, leaving "standby" for sleep alone, since hibernate is actually one
of the two ways to switch off and only sleep puts the computer into standby.

Also, should the restart logo be the same colour as hibernate? Restart's
primary function is that it does the same as shutdown but starts up
immediately again, and has as drastic a "resetting" effect. I think it
should be the same colour as the shutdown logo to represent this
similarity, rather than the same colour as hibernate.

To summarise these thoughts: Hibernate is "off" and should have the
"power" symbol like Shut Down. Shut Down and Restart are system
maintenance actions which do the same thing as each other, but one of
them also (and merely) cuts out the need to press a button to start the
system up again - so they should be more "familiar" by sharing their colour.

--
Tristan Wibberley