Shared Configuaration

Lukas Sabota punkrockguy318 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 15:45:41 BST 2006

    Choice is one of the wonderful aspects of the Ubuntu desktop.  You
can choose to use GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and even some very lightweight
options like fluxbox or icewm.  Every desktop has it's pros and cons,
and every user has their own favorites.
    Currently, every desktop has it's own configuration system.  So, for
every desktop I choose to use, I am going to have to reconfigure things
like keyboard repeat time and mouse acceleration.  Most users will want
to have some options (like keyboard/mouse settings) consistent
throughout each desktop.
    Is there a fdo standard for something like this?  If not, here's a
rough idea:
* Create a folder for configuration files that are shared between
desktops. Perhaps ~/.config/desktop-settings.
* This file could contain simple preferences for things like keyboard
and mouse input.
* Instead of each desktop using their own configuration files for things
that should be shared, they could respect the ~/.config/desktop-settings
so users could have some consistent settings throughout desktops.

What are your thoughts on a standard for configuration between desktops?

God Bless,
Lukas