Fwd: Questions related to the new logout dialog

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 14:24:24 GMT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sebastien Estienne <sebastien.estienne at gmail.com>
Date: 17 déc. 2005 15:24
Subject: Re: Questions related to the new logout dialog
To: Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>

2005/12/17, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>:
> hi,
> Am Samstag, den 17.12.2005, 14:36 +0100 schrieb Sebastien Bacher:
> > > And what about the xscreensaver lock dialog, it has a switch user
> > > function: shouldn't this dialog have the same look and feel as the new
> > > logout dialog?
> >
> > They don't do the same things, I'm not sure they should be the same. The
> > switch user has a list of users so you can pick one. How would you
> > change it?
> note that the xscreensaver dialog until breezy was always the original
> xscreensaver dialog with different themeing on top, it cant do more than
> look like a gnome tool, since its not possible to make it use gtk or
> gnome libs without big security issues, themeing there *must* happen at
> compile time with hardcoded xpm pics indexed to 90 colors to work at
> all.
>
> we will switch to gnome-screensaver with dapper to overcome this
> inconsistency, gnome-screensaver supports the fast user switch applet
> that shows you a list of users to switch to.
>
> i'm not sure if having a logout/shutdown/hibernate option is really what
> i would want if i lock my desktop for a coffee break in the office, have
> unsaved documents on the desktop and every colleague who would be
> passing by could shut down my system. as long as not all apps autosave
> open documents on shutdown/logout, we shouldnt introduce such a feature
> there at all imho.

Yes that makes a lot of sense, but to be fully consistent, if your
colleague use "switch user" he shouldn't be able to use
"shutdown/restart", if you are still logged in.

The "hibernate/sleep" actions are different because you don't loose
your current work, except apps using network (ssh, download, etc).

> ciao
>         oli

Sebastien Estienne

--