Current wiki access status

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Wed Jun 22 08:28:33 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-22 11:19, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On 2016-06-21 18:21, Alan Pope wrote:
>> This is not a permanent solution. The ultimate goal is to move away
>> from Moin, probably to MediaWiki. However, we are where we are right
>> now, as that migration won't happen this week.
> No, probably not. And even if the wiki software is exchanged in the
> future, won't the basic issue with separating contributors from vandals
> remain?

Other wiki platforms have better built-in spam protection measures from
recognizing what is spam to blocking users who are spamming before they
save the pages.

That said, I don't think the problem will ever go away completely, but
it could be much more manageable.

> Probably we'd better prepare ourselves for this solution to be in place
> for quite a while.

Indeed. If things go as smoothly as they can, I would still imagine
setting up the new wikis taking at least half a year.

>> It's not so much having procedures. The procedure is simply to make
>> sure the applicant is a real Ubuntu contributor. As I said before
>> I'm not going to publicly outline all the ways in which people fail
>> that test. Simply because real bad actors will do whatever they can
>> to circumvent them.
> Ok. But I see a need to provide a way for editor candidates to justify
> their applications to join ~ubuntu-wiki-editors.
>
> A real example: A member of the Swedish LoCo since 10 year or so would
> like to put up a tutorial in the section of wiki.ubuntu.com for the
> Swedish LoCo. A few weeks ago I let him know about the problem. What
> should I tell him now? "Click the join button"?
>
> If he does, the admins of ~ubuntu-wiki-editors will see a LP homepage of
> a user with zero karma and one team membership (the Swedish LoCo). They
> won't see that he has been an active support contributor locally for
> several years and is a trusted member.
>
> One possibility is that I ask him to *also* post a few lines via the
> "Contact this team's admins" form, where he can for instance post a link
> to his posting history in the forum of the Swedish LoCo, or maybe state
> me as a reference.
>
> But the main issue is: What's our message to new community members? The
> solution we now launch needs to include some guidelines on how to show
> that you are trustworthy. Would it be an option to say:
>
> "Click the join button. If you are new to the community, post also a few
> lines to the admins of ~ubuntu-wiki-editors with the kind of edits you
> would like to do, a summary of your contribution history and/or mention
> someone who can vouch for you."

Recommendations are probably the best way to go here. If, for example,
you recommended that user to be added, then I don't think we'd have any
issues adding them directly.

Cheers,
Pasi

--