Another polemic around Ubuntu

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 2 01:48:07 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 06:33 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Now the Software Freedom Conservancy is officially against Canonical:
> (https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux)

This is a (well-researched) opinion piece.  And it contradicts
Canonical's legal counsel.  And it's four months old.

> It is because of small things like this why people are not believing in
> Ubuntu. Sure there is proprietary software like drivers, codecs and
> Flash that getting rid of them would be too painful. But this is not the
> case.

Why is this not the case?  ZFS support is not included in the default
install, but must be manually added.  What is the case?

> The point is, while most Android users doesn't know a thing about libre
> software and use proprietary apps without worrying, most Ubuntu users
> expect somehow libre software to become the standard. Otherwise they
> would be simply using Windows or Android.

Non-sequitur.

I didn't watch the random YouTube link, so I can't comment on it.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/