what colour is Orange exactly?

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 20 13:49:06 UTC 2016

On 20/04/16 14:27, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Alan Bell:
>> It is totally fine to change the style guide that everything inherits
>> design from, but just randomly implementing a change in some places that
>> is contrary to the published style guide is an approach I am very
>> surprised to see.
>
> The difference is so subtle that nobody would be able to notice it.
> Moreover when performing a change better to test drive it before
> making it official.

for reference, the difference is this big:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/colour.png

the new colour being the cross, old is the background. That is pretty
subtle if viewed alone, but if you have both next to each other they are
very clearly different - and that is what happens if nobody is sure
which to use.
This isn't just a test drive, this has been rolled out to the production
phone images, so there is every chance that people will be seeing both
next to each other. In fact, on the phone the HTML5 ui toolkit has not
been updated, so HTML5 apps will pick up a different set of colours to
QML apps, presumably because the team maintaining that toolkit (Michael
Hall?) were not informed of the colour change!

phablet at ubuntu-phablet:/usr/share/ubuntu-html5-ui-toolkit/0.1/ambiance$
grep -rn dd4814
css/sass/constants.scss:26:$ubuntu_orange: #dd4814;
css/appTemplate.css:1033:  background: #dd4814;
css/appTemplate.css:1168:  background: #dd4814;
css/appTemplate.css:1440:  color: #dd4814;

Alan.