Ubuntu Code of Conduct: omissions and suggestions

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 17:11:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> The truth is been a victim of harassment is a choice.

I don't want to side-track this important discussion, but this kind of
comment makes me very unsafe and I think it's important to call it
out. I'm shocked that you think it's something that's OK to say in our
community.

There are people in our community over the years who have been
threatened and harassed. Their perspective or how they dealt with it
does not change the fact that they were victims.

When I was bombarded by the sharing of my home address and phone
number on IRC for 2 weeks, and subsequently received non-stop phone
calls from various phone numbers as a result of my work in Ubuntu
Women, I did not "choose" to be a victim. It was scary and I was
honestly afraid for my safety. These people weren't part of our
community, but I share this very extreme example to illustrate that it
absolutely does happen. Less extreme versions between people who are
members of our community happen with more regularity.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 9:56 AM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> My only point is we should condemn harassment explicitly.

Agreed.