The new Launchpad team is ready

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Sun Sep 13 09:12:10 UTC 2015

On 13 September 2015 at 07:50, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> José Antonio Rey:
>>
>> You've been asked to do a proposal to the list to decide, and I prefer
>> that instead of someone just coming to say something has been done.
>

> Man, I have already said that we can now have a discussion about if to
> include those things or not. So I thought that was the formal proposal you
> are asking now. Or what else do you want?

How about we start with:-

* Not arriving in a community resource (this list) and immediately
making sweeping changes disrupting the workflow of over 100 other
people.
* Not creating new resources for people to maintain when the existing
resources work just fine for their intended purposes
* Work as a team

> As seen in
> <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-September/000713.html>
> Randall created the Launchpad team without consensus because he thought it
> was something trivial that wouldn't interfere with what was already set up.
> And because this is a meritocratic system and he's a Canonical employee I
> simply assumed that was okay.

Just because he created a team (which I also don't see the point of)
doesn't mean we are obliged to move the list. A bunch of us moderate
this list and you and Randall have unilaterally taken that away. There
are some good technical reasons to continue to use lists.ubuntu.com
and not launchpad lists, which is one reason why we went this route in
the first place. You didn't know about that discussion and have
stormed in, railroaded and upset those of us who have set this
resource up and have been maintaining it for the last year.

> And I already think it is, because I prefer people to freely test and agree
> with the details when having a prototype. Otherwise choices are just based
> in opinions, where having a team prototype set up could give us a better
> idea about if having it would be good or not, or if something is better
> changed.

There is a significant difference between:-

a) making a prototype thing and sharing it looking for opinions
b) making an alternative to an existing thing as a prototype, which
causes 100+ people to muck about with their workflow to be part of.
c) discussing the need for a prototype new thing, then making it if
consensus felt it was required.

You chose (b), when you probably should have gone for (c).

> I think that it's pretty clear that the intention has been to make choices
> in consensus. So the problem isn't me not saying it, but you not hearing it.

Careful, you're in danger of upsetting even more people by making rash
assumptions about how they're feeling and misinterpreting their reply.
Dangerous ground.

> It's like when my neighbours, the nuns, don't see nothing special when I
> walk naked in the garden. They just see what they expect to see.

"A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver."

> Elizabeth K. Joseph:
>> I hope you'll consider these things as we move forward with this
>> discussion and now understand why people were so upset.
>
> Acting jerky isn't about been upset or not, but a choice.
>
> I don't think this is because people was angry, but rather because they
> deliberate chose to be unpleasant. It is a choice you do somehow beforehand.

You are wrong.

You have irritated multiple people in many places now. Please
reconsider what you have done and take time to look at yourself and
not shift blame for this upset to *everyone* *else*. That's a shitty
thing to do.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope